-
November 3rd, 2007, 09:59 PM
#1
Inactive Member
... Of it's audio gear...
I got a REALLY NICE old Altec A7 with wings and a baffle or what ever you want to call it around the horn. It's all original and unmolested. It's an 802C with a 803A, and a 800 D... I also ripped the Motiograph amp, pre-amp, and power supply off the walls.. I just wished I could have taken one of the cool old Motiograph Carbon arc projectors home for use as a living-room decoration... man were they perty!!!
Anyway, here's a link to my Flickr site with pictures of my raid.. I think you will all find this A7 Sweet and probably a rare find.. I know finding a mate will be about impossible
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dc-duo/...7602886063080/
-
November 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Very nice!
Just curious, were the projector, lamphouses, and carbon arc supply also for sale?
I'm hoping you'll get some informative comments on that early box and the Motiograph amp
-
November 4th, 2007, 05:31 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
This reminds me of an event in my life back in the late 1980's (1988 I think). I got a lead through my father about a guy somewhere in Pennsylvania that had a small warehouse with a lot of old cinema equipment in storage....projectors/speakers/electronics, etc. POSSIBLY for sale. I never made contact with the guy simply because I did not have the cash to make anything happen. Even so, I had no place to store the stuff myself once it all got aboard a rented semi-truck! I can't recall when the internet became commonplace but at that time I did jockey the telephone looking for a collector that wanted to go in on the deal with me with no luck. (anyone remember the days before the internet when you seeked out Altec stuff through the phone!?)
I never did find out exactly what the guy might of had or an asking price but who knows what I missed!!
Russ
-
November 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Yes, the projectors and all were for sale.. even the seat rows. I almost thought about hone of the projectors, but I know I don't have that kind of space to display it. It wouldn't be used, so I didn't bother asking a price...
As far as not calling. I almost passed by this. The ad was posted in 2003, but I figured WTF.. never hurts to ask.. .Let just say, and I didn't realize the real value of this altec, because it is apparently pretty collectable, that I will double my money just by selling the speaker for what I picked this all up for...
-
November 5th, 2007, 03:40 PM
#5
Inactive Member
If your primary interest in this stuff is "how much can I flip it for?", take it to eBay where it belongs.
-
November 5th, 2007, 06:42 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
I'm afraid his choice of the verbs "ripped" and stripped" said quite a bit about his attitude toward the gear.
-
November 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Folks, let me state for the record that i'm acquainted with the OP well enough to know that his motives are genuine. He would like big Altecs (VOTT's) for his home.
I can pretty much assure you that his reasoning for flipping the speaker, and/or other gear(if he indeed does) is because of the likelihood he'll never find a mate, as we all know 810 boxes don't appear very often.
Please don't judge his attitude on a poor choice of words for a thread title, they're not representative in this case.
It's not really my place to speak for him, but i know first hand that he's of the school that doesn't like to see this stuff parted out strictly for monetary gain.
The gear in question has apparently been for sale for 3 or 4 years, and he found it by responding to an old ad.
-
November 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
I sent that ad to him, and I also suggested that he flip the mono set up to help finance a set of A-5's or A-7's. He's actually been reluctant to consider that option....
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 05, 2007 03:15 PM: Message edited by: analog addict ]</font>
-
November 5th, 2007, 07:31 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Originally posted by bowtie427ss:
...i'm acquainted with the OP well enough to know that his motives are genuine...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good enough for me.
You might check in the Film-tech online manual library for the Motiograph gear, they have manuals on their projectors, the MA/PA amp series, and a really interesting article on Motiograph history (From Magic Lanterns...).
As I recall, those amps could be powered from a DC battery bank as well as the house AC. Don't expect them to be hifi though, they're highly BW-limited, and have built-in "house curve" EQ.
-
November 6th, 2007, 01:39 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Beautiful stuff thanks for the Photos.
Harry
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.
Bookmarks